recently aquired CUDA 12000 and need some help | docsis.org

You are here

recently aquired CUDA 12000 and need some help

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
digitallystoned
recently aquired CUDA 12000 and need some help

Hi all,

I have recently acquired a CUDA 12000 CMTS with 2x8 DOCSIS cards and 2 MM5 management cards... What im having an issue with is that the CMTS did not come with the passwords for the bascli utility and the defaults from the manual are not working.. Do any of you know a way to reset the passwords on the bascli utility so we can have admin access to this CMTS?? i have full root login capabilities to the MM5 controllers but am just not able to get past the password screen on the bascli utility for 'enable root' or 'enable administrator' .. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mtntrailseeker
Try the steps below

related to the ser file(s).

BCM Password Recovery Procedure:

All MM3’s meeting hardware condition #2 will require both Linux password and bascli password recovery for determining BCM CS functionality and software upgrades from 3.1.58.65 to 5.5.2.

All MM1’s and MM2’s (legacy BCM’s for GEN I equipment) will require Linux password recovery for site identification. Currently BBN is maintaining a spreadsheet of recovered legacy equipment by location name for trade in credit with Adelphia. The prompt name after login will identify the location where the chassis was deployed.

Connect DC cables and power up the chassis. Blank panels should be in both the front and rear of any empty slots so proper airflow is going from the bottom of the chassis to the front.

Connect a keyboard and monitor to the front of the BCM module. If the BCM is already booted up and displays primary, press ctl-alt-del to reboot the BCM. At the LILO prompt, you will interrupt the boot sequence by pressing the TAB key.

Boot into single user modem by entering linux -s and hitting enter.

At the bash prompt, type “passwd” and restore the SU password of bas. Re-enter bas when prompted. This will reset the SU password back to bas.

At the bash prompt, type “passwd administrator” and restore the default administrator account password. Re-enter it when prompted. Both Linux passwords are now reset.

Change directories to /bas/data/user/accounts. Remove any *.ser files with the following command:

rm *.ser

When all files are deleted type reboot. The BCM will reboot and a default root.ser file will be created for bascli access.

digitallystoned
Thanks, I was able to

Thanks, I was able to recovery the bascli with this as well as the management passwords..Is there any easy way to delete the old config file in the BCM so I can just start fresh without trying to nullify everything? Also, do you happen to know where i can find a copy of the cli admin for release BigBand Cuda 12000, Software Version 6.2.2 (13) ... Thanks in advance

mtntrailseeker
I have a document that covers that also

but I'm in transit on a business trip from the west coast back east and I wont be back until Friday night. Naturally this old document is on an old computer. If I recall there are files possibly in /bas/data/cluster with a file format I think references slot numbers. If you want to shoot me the contents (ls) of this directory it might jar some old brain cells.....and I'm pretty sure I can help you with admin guides as well, just have to wait.

-Tom

digitallystoned
I'll post the contents here

I'll post the contents here as soon as i fire the beast back up..gets loud in here when its running full power

mtntrailseeker
Try the following..

Remove card configuration files from the /bas/data/cluster directory (all CMTS.Cx, CMTSCLS.Cx, FWDER.Cx, RSCLS.Cx, and RSERVER.Cx files) and reset all line cards.

You may be able to reset all line cards from linux from the "primary BCM" if you can find a command called reset_boards or something like that. Wait until all cards come back up and from bascli do a save command. The cluster directory should now have all default files.

-Tom

mtntrailseeker
Try the following..

Remove card configuration files from the /bas/data/cluster directory (all CMTS.Cx, CMTSCLS.Cx, FWDER.Cx, RSCLS.Cx, and RSERVER.Cx files) and reset all line cards.

You may be able to reset all line cards from linux from the "primary BCM" if you can find a command called reset_boards or something like that. Wait until all cards come back up and from bascli do a save command. The cluster directory should now have all default files.

-Tom

digitallystoned
Do all the cards have to be

Do all the cards have to be in the CMTS to do this master reset or would just having the cards i need now be enough to accomplish this?

mtntrailseeker
Just the cards you have

now will be fine. The config is stored on the bcm hard drive. If no file for the slot then it would be a default cfg the card would load. Once a save is done, then you would have a corresponding file in /bas/data/cluster.

digitallystoned
looks like that defaulted it.

looks like that defaulted it... thank you so much... Any tips on configuring this puppy and any a good provisioning server to use with it?? I assume I'm going to have to make a custom one so any pointers would be helpful

mtntrailseeker
How many customers

are you planing to support? Are you planning on selling different speed tiers?

digitallystoned
about.

about 250-300 users on this... Yes there will be different speed tiers available..I plan on using 1 DS and 2 US on the 2x8 card that I have

digitallystoned
is there anyone who could

is there anyone who could help me setup this CUDA12000 basic config file?? I'm missing something because thankfully I have gotten it to the point that I have the modem requesting TFTP/config/etc., but i dont see any DHCP requests on the server locally... I think I have a setup issue with the way the routing is setup between the cards in the CMTS but im not sure.. Is there anyone who remembers how to work on these CMTSes?

mtntrailseeker
Post the running config

or email to proairpass at yahoo dot com

digitallystoned
configs were emailed

configs were emailed