New to this not sure where to start. Arris tm402 | docsis.org

You are here

New to this not sure where to start. Arris tm402

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
genxweb
New to this not sure where to start. Arris tm402

I have a bunch of these modems that I want to load the SIP firmware on. I want to use them with my own asterisk solution. I have already applied the asterisk patches to my servers I just have no idea how to:

1. Acquire the required software / firmware (bought second hand off ebay and Arris wont help)
2. Create or push it to the device

If any one can point me in the right direction or provide the search phrase I need I be happy to research it myself. All the info I been finding is how to load it to increase the speeds. Not looking to do that just want to be able to load them to use for SIP.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

kwesibrunee
Hard to tell from your post

Hard to tell from your post if you are a service provider or not assuming your a Service Provider here are some tips for you, if your an end user: the MTAs will not be much use to you because they can only be provisioned from the cable side, i.e. from your service provider.

1. Arris requires a service ID to gain access to their support/firmware, I set mine up three or four years ago and I don't recall it being a hard thing to do, however I believe we got ours so easily cuz we are members of NCTC, worse case scenario buy a test modem, or ten from Arris or one of its partners and you should be able to get support. When you get access to their Documentation you get access to either SIP firmware or NCS firmware or Both which includes the firmware for all models of their modems. They have changed their access method at least once since I joined so I may not be the best person to ask about it.

2. you can use the generic Docsis firmware method for Arris modems if you like(info found in the docsis 1.1+ spec its self on cable labs) but more recent versions of the firmware support a model based firmware upgrade i.e. you can set a proprietary MIB to upgrade each model of Arris Modem differently a huge headache saver for firmware management. The details are fairly well discussed in the Arris Provisioning Guide, Arris has way better documentation than Motorola and other cable modem vendors.

If your using SIP you should not need to apply any patches to Asterisk, it supports SIP since forever, if your using the NCS signaling method (aka packetcable) you need the patches or to modify the source because most versions of Asterisk (I think it got committed to 1.6) don't support NCS.

You really need Arris support for three reasons: 1. you are likely to find issues from time to time with firmware versions you use and may need to upgrade, 2. you need access to the firmware dependent documentation associated with it, to find out how you create the config file and 3. Arris has one of the best if not the best Config File creators called PacketAce which has templates with the needed values for doing all the things you are trying to do. You need a key from Arris for software, and this key is specific to the machine it is installed on. (it also is Dot net based so only works on windows)

if for some reason you can not gain access to their support, I would be happy to help you with some modem config dumps to show how to do firmware upgrades and/or mta config dumps to show how to interface with Asterisk, and help with any general questions you may have. The mta process is a little bit tricky, I have posted a How-to on these forums, it is a bit dated now couple years old but the info is still good. I am unable to provide the firmware for you, because it is not mine to give.