Motorla BSR2000 with SB5101 modems | docsis.org

You are here

Motorla BSR2000 with SB5101 modems

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
maniadl
Motorla BSR2000 with SB5101 modems

Modems come online but will not pass Ethernet traffic. Ethernet is programmed for 1 which is active.
Any ideas?
Thanks

kwesibrunee
Could be a lot of things,

Could be a lot of things, would need more info to troubleshoot, i.e. modem config, ip settings on cable interface and client computer etc...

Some of the most common causes of that problem are
--- client gateway is either missing or does not match subnet its on -- Check DHCPD settings.
-- you have packet or llc filters that are not passing the correct traffic -- try getting online without the filters in place then add one at a time until you find culprit
-- your cmts/edge router is not set up to properly route the IP space your clients are getting -- resolve the routing issue
-- you have force privacy on and are missing the root cert or have a time problem causing all the modems to come up in a rejected state, modem appears online but doing a show cable modem on the cmts shows it is in a reject state. -- if its a Time issue that is easy set the correct time on your router, if your missing the root-cert you will need that before modems will be able to come online with privacy enabled.

psmit
I Have a Similar Problem

And not to hijack this thread, but my problem is a little different in that the modem comes online no problem (with fixed private ip address), any CPE device (with static public address) connects to the world just fine, change the CPE device to a different piece of hardware, no connectivity. Modem learns the new MAC address, but the previous one still comes up as the active host in the uBR with 'show interface cable x/z modem y' even after a modem reboot. 'clear cable host xxxx.xxxx.xxxx' simply deletes the initial host entry without establising the new host MAC address after another modem reboot. Take the modem offline for a period of time (like hours) and try again, the new CPE device is properly recognized. BTW, the modem config has no filters, no privacy, and slots for 3 CPE devices.

I'm leaning toward something with my dhcpd.conf not lining up correctly with the uBR config?

TIA for any input as usual.

Poge

hinzoo
Try this:

Try this: clear cable modem x.x.x.x del - after reboot should be ok, then contact Your dealer and upgrade UBR :)

maniadl
Motorla BSR2000 with SB5101 modems resolved

BSR2000 has a security feature where it looks back at the DHCP server to verify
the IP and MAC address of connected CPEs.
"dhcpleasequery"
dhcpleasequery authorization on

kwesibrunee
if this is a cisco CMTS try

if this is a cisco CMTS try

show cable modem xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx verbose

there are two max-cpe statements one set in the modem config and one set on the CMTS, the cmts one if present takes precedence. sounds like your cmts one could be set at one which is causing your problem.

psmit
sh cable modem x.x.x.x verbose

oberlin-uBR7246#sh cable modem 10.1.254.254 verbose

MAC Address : 001a.668b.f8b4
IP Address : 10.1.254.254
Prim Sid : 180
QoS Profile Index : 7
Host Interface : C3/0/U0
Wideband Capable : N
RCP Index : 0
sysDescr :
Upstream Power : 0.00 dBmV (SNR = 27.73 dB)
Downstream Power : 0.00 dBmV (SNR = ----- dB)
Timing Offset : 1662
Initial Timing Offset : 1662
Curr US Timing Adjust : 0
Prev US Timing Adjust : 0
Received Power : 0.00 dBmV
MAC Version : DOC2.0
QoS Provisioned Mode : DOC1.0
Enable DOCSIS2.0 Mode : Y
Phy Operating Mode : tdma
Capabilities : {Frag=N, Concat=Y, PHS=N, Priv=}
Sid/Said Limit : {Max US Sids=0, Max DS Saids=0}
Optional Filtering Support : {802.1P=N, 802.1Q=N}
Transmit Equalizer Support : {Taps/Symbol= 0, Num of Taps= 0}
Number of CPE IPs : 0(Max CPE IPs = 3)
CFG Max-CPE : 3
Flaps : 2(Jul 20 09:23:22)
Errors : 0 CRCs, 0 HCSes
Stn Mtn Failures : 0 aborts, 1 exhausted
Pre-Equalization Counters : 0 good, 0 scaled, 0 impulse, 0 direct loads
Total US Flows : 1(1 active)
Total DS Flows : 1(1 active)
Total US Data : 1304 packets, 125103 bytes
Total US Throughput : 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
Total DS Data : 1293 packets, 113208 bytes
Total DS Throughput : 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
Active Classifiers : 0 (Max = NO LIMIT)
DSA/DSX messages : permit all
Total Time Online : 01:32
oberlin-uBR7246#

What's the default max CPE condition of the uBR (Ver. 12.3(23)BC7) and/or how do I determine it? There's nothing specifically defined in the current config.

Thanks.

Poge

psmit
Answered my own question -- sorta

So the MAX CPE setting in the modem config file determines exactly that if there is no MAX CPE/IP/Hosts setting specified in the uBR config. I did add a 'MAX hosts' value of 8 on all cable interfaces which *should* be applied to all modems (after a reset) with no change in behavior. Same problem.

There are also MAX CPE and MAX IP options for the uBR config, but the 'MAX hosts' seemed to be the most appropriate and all-encompassing under the circumstances.

BTW, 'clear cable modem x.x.x.x del' didn't work either.

Poge

kwesibrunee
Next place to look is going

Next place to look is going to be your dhcp server,

a CPE will be seen by the modem as soon as it connects, however it will not be added to show cable modem xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx cpe until it uses its own IP address, either by statically assigning one or having it assigned by dhcp.

So you may have a limiter in DHCP that is limiting the number of cpe leases it can hand out.

Another thought would be what kind of modem and what firmware if its old firmware may try again after updating it to the current version

psmit
Spent most of the day

Spent most of the day reviewing my dhcpd.conf and trying different things you've suggested along the way. My situation is admittedly cobbled together and not what I would consider production level by any means. Unfortunately, I'm tasked with intermingling more and more docsis modems into my rather hybrid legacy LANcity/DOCSIS arrangement until I can get a "real" provisioning system up and running to handle the DOCSIS stuff with a bit more finesse and reliability. I'd post my dhcpd.conf, but we're talkin' a caveman dhcpd.conf and it'd be kind of embarrassing. Whatever, I need some help any way I can get it right about now!
Any additional tips would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, SB4100's, 5100's 5120's, and ARRIS402's all exhibit the same problem.

Thanks much for the response.

Poge

cmcaldas
output

what's the config on the cmts in regards to the secondary network? example ip address 24.0.241.1 255.255.248.0 secondary host
ipconfig /all on the pc connected to the modem... what does the dhcp server give out for info? able to ping gateway and dns server?
C:\>tracert 209.85.157.104 ( trace route to google ). how far does it go?
you do need to add more info to your post.

Carl