Firmware Upgrade of motorola SB5101i to SB5101E | docsis.org

You are here

Firmware Upgrade of motorola SB5101i to SB5101E

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
zlate676
Firmware Upgrade of motorola SB5101i to SB5101E

Hello

How can I make an software change or upgrade from motorola SB5101i with firmware SB5101-2.4.4.0-SCM00-NOSH to firmware for motorola SB5101e (euro docsis). We need the modems to work on EuroDocsis standard. Changing the Freguency plan in configuration menu of the modem does not solve this issue.
Is it posible to make such software upgrade ?

Best Regards

mbowe
Hmm

Well off the top of my head I didnt think this was possible

But then after thinking about it a bit more, I remember someone saying in these forums that the black moto modems are dual mode / worldwide capable.

I just went and had a look at the moto website, and it does say it works with both... "Incorporating DOCSIS®/EuroDOCSIS 2.0 technology"
http://www.motorola.com/Video-Solutions/US-EN/Products-and-Services/Voic...

So maybe you do have a chance of fixing your problem :-)

Probably would need to have a look at the release notes to find out whether it's just some NVRAM type setting, or a different firmware required.

mbowe
I had a quick look at some

I had a quick look at some release notes today and it says stuff like :

5. HARDWARE
SB5101 - North American DOCSIS 2.0 Support
SB5101E - EuroDOCSIS 2.0 Support

6. FIRMWARE RELEASE NAME
SB5101-2.7.8.0-GA-00-NOSH-NNDMN.p7
SB5101E-2.7.8.0-GA-00-NOSH-NNEMN.p7

So does sound like there are two different firmwares

Capm
Also

I do believe in order to do this, you'll have to load the firmware while in (regular)Docsis mode - and when it reboots, it'll load with EuroDocsis... hope you have a spare CMTS for your bench.

zlate676
Firmware change

Thanks for your reply.
We dont have a spare CMTS for our brench, we need to use the SB5101i modems with the CMTS which is running in EuroDocsis Mode.
So my question is there a option to change the firmware of the modem.
I have tried to change the mode of the modem to EuroDocsis mode but it is not syncronised with the CMTS which is running in EuroDocsis mode.
The modem is working Ok with CMTS running in Docsys mode.
It is tested from our side ,but my question is why when i change the mode of the modem to Euro docsis mode from Docsys it is not suncronised with the CMTS...

mbowe
I dont see how a DOCSIS modem

I dont see how a DOCSIS modem could register on a EuroDOCSIS CMTS?

How are you determining which mode the modem is using?

zlate676
The modem has an option

The modem has an option to select if you want to use a EuroDocsis or Domestic (docsis) mode .
If i chose a Euro Docsis mode the modem can not work with the CMTS in neither way....
If i chose Domestic mode it works with a CMTS which is runing only Docsis mode.

Best Regards

streamer
Hi

Hi
SB5101i and SB5101E has different tuners, SB5101i has only 6Mhz width, so its impossible to upgrade SB5101i to dual-mode via sw
P.S. several years ago we replace all SB5101i to SB5101E when moving to EuroDOCSIS

fb445421
Only SB5xxxE modems are hybrid capable

Hi!

Streamer is correct, and just to add some info for future reference, I can add that all Motorola SB5xxxE modems are capable of Hybrid mode, where the tuner can lock on a 6 or 8 MHz wide downstream. The SB5100, SB5101, SB5101i and so on WITHOUT the E for Euro cannot lock on anything but a 6 MHz DOCSIS downstream. Period. SB5101E for instance can lock on DOCSIS or EuroDOCSIS IF set to hybrid mode at the factory or via SNMP:

Check the current value first:
LinuxDHCP:~# snmpget -v 2c -c public 172.20.1.33 CM-CONFIG-MIB::cmHybridMode.0 -m all 2>/dev/null
CM-CONFIG-MIB::cmHybridMode.0 = INTEGER: false(2)

Set hybrid modem to true:
LinuxDHCP:~# snmpset -v 2c -c private -m all 172.20.1.33 CM-CONFIG-MIB::cmHybridMode.0 i 1
CM-CONFIG-MIB::cmHybridMode.0 = INTEGER: true(1)

Check again:
LinuxDHCP# snmpget -v 2c -c public 172.20.1.33 CM-CONFIG-MIB::cmHybridMode.0 -m all 2>/dev/null
CM-CONFIG-MIB::cmHybridMode.0 = INTEGER: true(1)

If you don't have the mibs, the OID for CM-CONFIG-MIB::cmHybridMode.0 is:

I have done this many times and Motorola have verified to me personally that the SB5101i cannot do 8 MHz.

/Fredrik