Cisco EPC3212 how to configure? | docsis.org

You are here

Cisco EPC3212 how to configure?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
patrick231
Cisco EPC3212 how to configure?

Hello,

I have got a used EPC3212 and want to use it at my German cable internet connection. How can I configure the modem? I can login to the web interface but there is no configuration options available. I have seen in this forum some configuration files. But how can I load this to the modem? Can I use TFTP server via DHCP on the LAN side of the modem?

The documentation I have found on the internet is very rare and even can’t find the firmware (maybe because Cisco provides this only to carriers).

Thank you,
Patrick

mbowe
The carrier manages the

The carrier manages the firmware and config, not end user.

Speak to them and see if the EPC3212 can be used on their network. If so, provide the MAC address and they will set it up for you.

patrick231
Starting at the 1th August

Starting at the 1th August 2016 germans can use any Modem/Router to use the provided internet connection. My carrier (Kabel Deutschland) provided me a Hitron and I want to replace it with this Cisco EPC3212 I have bought used.

cmcaldas
modem and service

yes, you can use your own modem. same here for Comcast as an example. but the rules are the same. you no longer pay a rental fee for the modem because you own the modem. the files are for speeds and number of pc's connected to the modem. Kabel Deutschland, just like Comcast controls the modem files, not the customer. that way if you pay for 25Mb, Kabel Deutschland sends you a file for 25Mb. what would keep you from making it 50Mb or 300Mb? you still need to go through the Kabel Deutschland network for your web access, so they control it. you need to let Kabel Deutschland know the modem hfc mac address and they will replace the current modem with yours

patrick231
Hi cmcaldas,

Hi cmcaldas,

Thanks for your reply.

So, even if I'm using my own modem my provider will send a configuration file to it, is this correct? I'm not interested in increasing my access speed. I want to configure my VoIP settings on the modem to be able to place and receive calls. What about firmware updates? Will Kabel Deutschland provide me new firmwares or where can I download new versions?

fschlums
I Think we have to divide

I Think we have to divide into Modem for providers and modem for customers. They need a slightly different firmware as they have to configure things like voice by themselves. A provider firmware will not allow you customer specific parts on your modem. So it could be that your provider will send a vendor independent configuration to your modem. Internet should be no problem, but voice is an other topic.
By the way, the EPC3212 is a rather old modem with only 8x Downstream-Chip. The providers don't like Highspeed-Services on a few Downstreams as these channels could get easily filled up. A 200MBit/s Service over 16 or 24 Downstreams gives a better balance then with 8 channels.
Firmware could be difficult as Cisco sold it CM division to Technicolor.

wittmann
Nope

Hi Patrick,

VKD will not configure VoIP Accounts on that EPC3212 or any other cable modem which are not property of VKD. You have to use an external SIP ATA or need a firmware for SIP Accounts from Cisco but Cisco give this firmware usually only to cable providers. If you find the right firmware in the world wide web you have to find a way to update your cable modem by yourself because VKD will not support you with the firmware update for cable modems which are not belongs to VKD. It's on you to get the image on the cable modem. If the source of the EPC3212 was the VKD network (previous customer) the chance is very high that VKD will not allow this cable modem anyway.

wittmann
edit

to be more accurate: You'll receive your VoIP registration information for sure but the configuration of the MTA/DVA voice part in the cable modem has to be done by the costumer and will not be supported by VKD.

patrick231
Thanks again.

Thanks again.

The modem was in use with Unity Media (another German cable provider). I have the firmware version which includes VoIP but in the Web interface there is no configuration page for the VoIP settings. I can only see the current settings.

What means Fredrik from http://docsis.org/node/2216#comment-6518 with the following?
Basic file...

Hi!

This is all you NEED. What do you WANT?

Main
{
NetworkAccess 1;
}

/Fredrik